SNF offers a wide range of products for drilling and public works. The FLOSET™ CE line of polymers are viscosifying agents based on acrylamide-acrylate co-polymers, clay neutralizing agents based on cationic polymers, and additives for cement grout. The FLOSORB™ CE includes LCMs based on cross-linked acrylamide. FLOSPERSE™ is a line of sodium acrylate based dispersants.
SNF also offers polycarboxylate products that were developed and tailored to the concrete, cement, grouts, adhesives, coatings, and waterproofing segments of the construction industry. These SNF products are provided in the form of polyacrylamides, superplasticizers, superabsorbents, rheology modifiers, and dispersants.
Our FLOSET™ line of products is used as the critical raw material for the formulation of high-range water-reducing admixtures such as superplasticizers.
Cement / Concrete
In the area of cement and concrete applications, the technical advantages of the FLOSET™ polycarboxylates include:
- 3 to 6 times more efficient than traditional plasticizers
- High water reduction even at low dosage
- Improves slump retention
- Controls workability
- Faster and better placement
- Greater impermeability
- Increased concrete durability, uniformity, and strengths at all ages
- Does not contain chloride
SNF can adjust the performance and characteristics of these tailor-made grades by varying the:
- Nature of the monomers
- Ionic charge
- Molecular weight
- Steric hindrance
- Polymerization process
The FLOSPERSE™ line of dispersants contains both homopolymers as well as specialty copolymers of different compositions and various levels of molecular weights (2,000 to 100,000). The properties of these specialty copolymers can be engineered by properly selecting the monomers, their relative compositions, and control of the polymerization process. SNF provides both liquid and solid grades of polymer to meet the many different application needs: aqueous solutions of various concentrations and pH, as well as microbead solid form.
The FLOSET™ GEL range of products represent injection systems based on two-component resins, organo-mineral, acrylic-based compounds. They also include formulations based on micro-cements.
FLOSET™ GEL has the following primary applications:
- Waterproofing injection in tunneling and mining projects
- Rock cavity filling
- Concrete crack sealing in dams, pits, and walls
- Parking deck waterproofing
- Sewer repair
- Water sealing in waste treatment plants
- Waterproofing and stabilization of soft grounds prior to excavation
- Waterproofing barriers in brick works
- Fire-resisting glass sheet production
Civil Engineering involves the planning, design, construction, maintenance and operations of the infrastructure surrounding our daily environment.
Geotechnical engineering focuses on analyzing existing subsurface conditions and materials before designing deep foundations as bored piles, barrettes, diaphragm walls for tall buildings, tunneling for sewages, metro lines, etc.
Specialist contractors for deep foundations are using specific support fluids to complete projects. Successfully completing an excavation or a drilling at best cost depends on the properties of the drilling fluids to achieve several purposes as:
- Maintain continuous support of the excavation
- Carry cuttings to the surface and permit separation
- Increase skin friction
- Compatible with other construction materials as concrete, reinforcement steel bars
- Cause no pollution of the ground and groundwater and no harm to site operatives
Three types of drilling fluids are used in civil engineering applications:
- Bentonite drilling fluids: based on standard and extended bentonite only
- Polymer drilling fluids: based on hydrosoluble polymer only
- Mixed drilling fluids: based on bentonite and hydrosoluble polymers
SNF water-soluble polymers are used extensively as perform ant additives in these applications to either boost the performance of bentonite, or for preparation of polymer slurries for bored piles, diaphragm walls, anchors ties, bentonite-cement plastic walls, etc.
TUNNELS – MICROTUNNELS – DIRECTED DRILLING
Subcontractors specializing in the construction of tunnels and the laying of pipes use specific drilling fluids to carry out their projects. The success of an excavation or drilling at the best cost depends on the properties of drilling fluids to achieve many objectives such as:
- Ensure stability of the cutting front.
- Prevent water infiltration
- Avoid losses of drilling fluid
- Guarantee the excavation of materials
- Facilitate the treatment of drilling mud
- As a cement injection grout additive to ensure the necessary properties
- Avoid the release of water from drilling muds
In the operation of tunnel boring machines that use mud (TBM) or foam (EPB), there is a growing demand for innovative additives in order to improve production while limiting the impact on the environment. SNF is at the forefront of innovation by offering ever more sophisticated products that meet the most advanced requirements.
Bentonite is an abundant, versatile mineral found in many regions around the world for various industrial applications such as foundry sand, iron ore pelletization, and drilling muds.
There are two types of bentonites, calcium montmorillonite (weak physicochemical properties) and sodium montmorillonite (great physicochemical properties).
Commercial bentonite (montmorillonite sodium) has been used with great success as a basic additive to drilling fluids. Its main functions are to increase the viscosity of the mud and reduce the loss of fluid, thanks to its ability to form a resistant layer on the walls of “filter cake” boreholes.
In boreholes where bentonite is used, it must meet API requirements, with minimum viscosity and filtration characteristics.
Resins are one of the most widely used materials for injection works.
Resins have different properties, responding to imperatives that cement silicate or other materials cannot achieve.
- Low viscosity for thin cracks or sands
- High mechanical resistance
- Adjustable gelling time, from a few seconds to several hours
Resins are used either for soil consolidation where high penetration is required or for waterproofing jobs where fast gel formation is required to stop leakage.
Civil Engineering Product Guide